Sunday, June 8, 2008

Oxford, MS - Two Stick

A 4 1/2 hour scenic drive sponsored in part by local New Orleans bands Antenna Inn and Fay Wray has put us in the 95 degree Oxford Square.  We were able to stop by my hometown and have lunch with my folks which was nice.  


During our break today, I began advancing shows for the next week.  Advancing is neither a science nor is it a pleasant thing to do.  If I'm lucky enough to actually get someone from production on the phone, there's always some sort of contractual discrepancy.  Otherwise, I'm stuck talking to duder that happens to be near the phone and is generally unaware about things like load-in, doors, set length, etc.


On a lighter note, the Two Stick has some damn fine sushi.  Thus, it was with a full belly and a tingling tongue (spicy sauce) that I loaded gear.  The load-in was quick and easy and the show went pretty well.  We still have a few bugs to work out but things are coming together well.  


I guess now is a good a time as any to explain exactly what makes the show so complicated:  Theresa has a monstrous pedal board with two looping pedals.  She builds loops using guitar, violin, dulcimer, vocals, drums...anything really.  She has two sub-mix boards and a total of five outputs.  Basically, it's a fight with every song to get everything equal.  I've got a crib sheet for each song but we've got to figure out little feedback issues and clarity.  


All in all, I'm pumped about the next show at Eddie's Attack in Atlanta.  I've heard great things about it and I've never had a chance to go so now I'll see it in the flesh as well as running sound.  


No pictures this post but expect some from Eddie's Attic on Tuesday.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your blogs! I am really glad you got to see your momma! Kat's Momma

drinkwater said...

That's the most amazing comment I've ever received. I especially cherish the use of "Momma."

Unknown said...

How was the Atlanta show?

Anonymous said...

Amiable post and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you on your information.