Wednesday, June 18, 2008

New York shows!

Sorry I've been slacking with blogs since I arrive in New York. It's just so hectic up here I haven't really had time to write. Anyways, New York has been a blast and it's over too quickly. I'm leaving here in a mere 45 minutes to go to VA for the next two shows.

Sunday we played at Union Hall in Brooklyn. Very cool place. They had bocce ball courts in the bar and the music was in the basement on a tiny stage with low ceilings that had lots of charm. It was a small crowd that was receptive for the first few songs.

The next day I hopped on the subway and explored Manhattan for a few hours before having lunch with Kelley near Times Square where she works. I got a new phone charger since I left mine in Baltimore and duder was nice enough to let me charge it in the store while I browsed through the inferior Virgin book selection. I went to the only physical B&H store and it was amazing. I also headed over to 48th and 7th for all the music stores and actually had time to explore them all which was great. Then back to Brooklyn to prepare for the second show at Pianos.

The Pianos crowd was bigger and better and the show went off without a hitch. [edited for content]. Good crowd that was receptive. It was a cool club in a cool area. Seemed to be one of those "places to be seen" and she was certainly seen there.

After the show, I left the club around 11:30 and didn't get home until after 1. The subway stopped after only Lorimer street due to late night construction which meant walking the rest of the way through Brooklyn. That sucked.

Yesterday I had some true New York pizza and went to Katz's for dinner which is the ultimate in Jewish delis. Katz's is where the famous "I'll have what she's having" scene from When Harry Met Sally was filmed. I had matzo ball soup and a brisket sandwich; both were out of this world excellent. The show went fine and it was a quick load out so I had time to get back to Brooklyn while Kelley was still awake and actually hang out with her and Rubey.

Oh yeah, and while walking through the Lower East Side yesterday I stumbled upon this: the Hell's Angels Motorcycle Club. I wanted to go in but it wasn't open yet.


Now, we have to drive a long way to VA instead of having a few days off to pack up and prepare as we should. Oh well. See you guys in the funny papers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The owner of this blog has a strong personality because it reflects to the blog that he/she made.