Friday, August 24, 2007

Robert Randolph and the Family Band

I’m not sure how many of you are familiar with the delicacy known as an Arnold Palmer but I assure you that it is one worth knowing. To create the delicious mixture, take 45% sweet tea (only moderately sweet tea), 45% lemonade, 10% ginger ale, and 10% love. I guarantee you will not believe your taste buds. Upon arriving at a venue I embark on a nearly religious journey for these ingredients. Today, bless my lucky stars, I was honored with three of the four ingredients—I had to supply the love myself (it’s all in the mixing). Therefore, I insist that you run, don’t walk, to the nearest grocery store to pick up these beverages. If you’re feeling short on love stop into the Hallmark Greeting Card aisle and write a love letter to yourself. It’s not narcissistic if it’s all true, right?

Tonight was the first night of the tour with Robert Randolph. What a showman. His band puts on a terrific show while giving him plenty of room to work his pedal steel all night. I'm not sure I'm love with his studio albums, but his collaboration with the North Mississippi All-Stars and John Medeski in the instrumental gospel jam album under the name The Word. I implore everyone I know to pick this up. It is one of my "must have" albums.

Tonight’s Allman Brothers set was the first 2 ½ hour set I have experienced. It went by very quickly most likely because I was able to sit for this show. Standing hunched over the board for 2 hours is not an entirely good time, as you may imagine. I’m looking forward to tomorrow night.

Tonight’s set list:

Midnight Rider
Trouble No More
Firing Line
School Girl
Wasted Words (one of my personal favorites)
Statesboro Blues
Desdemona
Into the Mystic
No One to Run With
Melissa
Same Thing
JaBuMa
Jessica

Encore:
Love Light with Robert Randolph
One Way Out with Robert Randolph

2 comments:

nola_kat said...

Thought you might find this article interesting:
http://www.reuters.com/article/musicNews/idUSN2435486520070825
iTunes in Retail
If you don't oh well, at least I commented.

Oh, and "moderately sweet tea" is lame.

nola_kat said...

Did you know that a purely cosmetic variation in which the drink is not mixed, causing the iced tea to settle on the bottom and the lemonade to float on the top, is known as an "Adam Palmer"?