Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Jazz Fest Live

I guess it my be helpful to explain how such a wonderful opportunity came about.

During my time at Loyola New Orleans, a professor approached me with a volunteer opportunity that was right up my alley: recording shows at the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival with a company out of metro Chicago: MunckMusic (dba Jazz Fest Live!). It entailed sitting side stage and recording tracks from the monitor board of artists that agreed to the terms associated with the recording.

From there, the recordings would be ushered to the mixing trailer where one of a diligently working group of staff members would mix feverishly in order to get those CDs to shelves the day.

Basically, festival attendees would be able to purchase CDs of shows they saw the day before. It worked fabulously well and I ended up working with the company each spring for the past three years.

At first I was but a worker ant, sitting in the sun behind the musicians making sure the recordings went smoothly, but this spring I moved into the mixing trailer. Apparently, the gentlemen from MunckMusic saw something in me during these sessions and led to the upcoming Allman Brothers stint.

Among some of the shows I've recording the past three years:
Ani Difranco
The Meters x2
New Orleans Social ClubCowboy Mouth
Papa Grows Funk
Rebirth Brass Band
Warren Haynes
The Radiators
Hot 8 Brass Band
Ivan Neville's Dumpstaphunk
Neville Brothers
Little Feat
Henry Butler

It's been wild. If the boys from Chicago come back this year (which I'm sure they will) I'll get to do it all again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This, my friends,is an amazing blog. I sincerely wish that I were more like Woods Drinkwater.