Monday, July 21, 2008

Downtime and new book.

Today and tomorrow are filled with significant downtime. I thought I would relish the itinerary-free days but today was instead accomplishment-free for the most part. I woke up very late, sat around finishing The Undercover Economist, and eventually took a trip into Stockholm for a currency exchange. I must say that the small personal success of going there alone and finding the Forex exchange and a bookstore as well as making it back with no problems was uplifting.

Anyway, the book I picked up was Love in the Time of Cholera. I figured reading a Nobel prize winning classic would not only be a character building exercise but also last me until I got back to New Orleans. I'll start that up tomorrow I guess. It was down to either that, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, or the new Nick Hornby book. While I really enjoyed the first two of his novels, the more recent ones have been a disappointment so I decided to skip it.

Tonight for dinner, I walked down to the local restaurant and got some felafel. I don't have any idea what felafel is but I've been enjoying it immensely ever since Eddie's Attic in Atlanta where I had a mini-felafel burger.

On the morning of the 23rd, we'll be leaving for Norway and I won't get back to Stockholm until the night of the 28th which means I will most likely be without internet access until then. No blog updates, no email, no nothing. Hopefully I'll have much to speak of when I get back. Who knows? Maybe my next post will be laden with Nobel-prize-worthy romantic descriptive language. I just may be gushing with emotion having finished my 12th book.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Woods, Falafel is a fried ball or patty made from spiced fava beans and/or chickpeas. Falafel is generally served in pita bread, either inside the pita, which acts as a pocket, or wrapped in a flat pita. Mrs. Penick always gets this when we go to a Mediterranean restaurant. She loves it and now I'll have to try it.