Saturday, July 5, 2008

My 4th of July

Last year I spent my 4th of July among many friends. We ate, drank, and took two dogs for a swim with mixed results (the pug is a swimming champ, the Chesapeake Bay Retriever was terrified). This year, I spent 4th of July in a country that doesn't even have an independence day. There are rumors that country executives are attempting to make June 6th meaningful in some way but it was unclear as to why. Something about conversion from paganism.

Anyway, for my 4th of July, I read a book used often in college level management courses, ate an entire veggie pizza, and blew my nose a lot. I'm still quite sick and can only hope that the trip by sea we're taking today doesn't disagree with me.

I do hear from others, though, that the fireworks were bright, hot dogs warm, iced tea sweet, and spirts up in the States. Good for you guys, I guess.

Here are some things Sweden has allowed me to get back in touch with:
e-Bay
PayPal
Blogging
Writing stuff down in my little notebook
Sinusitis
My hilarious passport photo
BBC (especially the show Lead Balloon which is genius)
Long, personal emails

Here are some things Sweden has allowed me to neglect, if only temporarily:
Shaving
Recording
Coke
Good American television
Variety of wardrobe
Driving
The celebration of national US holidays
Long, personal conversations

No comments: