Tuesday, March 24, 2009

SXSW MNIJM Questionnaire

I traveled to Austin, TX this weekend with MyNameIsJohnMichael and decided on the drive home to give each of them a little questionnaire in order for folks to better get an idea of who they are. The following are the questions and answers as given by each member individually. Enjoy!

What's your first memory of playing music?

John Michael Rouchell: I remember breaking my Dad's acoustic when I was 8. Pete Townshend style.

Eric Rogers: There is a video of my brother, myself and our neighbor at the time Dustin Rojas, playing in my Dad's house. I must have been 8 years old and we played 3 chord progressions and 4/4 beats till the cows came home.

Richard Dubourg: When I was about 12 I guess, my grandpa had a $50 electric guitar with a built in speaker, and I used to play it whenever I was over there, typically trying to teach myself "House of the Rising Sun"

Leo DeJesus: Setting up toy pots and pans in the shape of a drum set when I was about 7.

Cory Schultz: While drinking a glass of kool-aid, I realized that when I tapped the glass with a spoon after I had taken a sip, the pitch of the glass became lower. I then decided to set up 12 more glasses of kool-aid, sipping the correct pitch into each glass, creating a full scale with sharps and flats of musical kool-aid. Grape flavored, of course.

What is your first memory of music? In other words, when did you first start noticing music?

JMR: Allman Bros and Beatles tapes in my Dad's Brown MG convertible while driving to the playground.

ER:
I used to play air guitar (left-handed) in the car with my dad when I was a kid to everything that came on the car radio. I still play air guitar left-handed for some reason. First CD I ever got was .38 Special's greatest hits.

RD:
My mother used to listen to John Denver constantly, so that would probably have to be my first memory. I remember hating it when I was a kid, but I recently started listening to him again, and whether it be strictly out of nostalgia or not, began to kind of like it.

LD:
When I was little, I loved to dance...and my parents were kids of 80's music...so I had plenty to dance to around the house. I used to have a black leather bracelet with white studs on it, and according to my mother, I loved to break dance (whatever version of break dancing a young white child is capable of) but I would only break dance if I was wearing the bracelet.

CS: My mother used to play classical music all day long and play our upright piano to some of the songs. Although she was never the greatest pianist, her harmonization skills always blew me away. I always listened to her singing along to melodies, but in a higher register. After a while it made sense to me, and now it is like second nature. Thanks Mom.

Joe Bourgeois:
I think it was when my sister would pick me up from camp playing TLC and Ace of Base.

Favorite 52 song not on the record?

JMR: I really like "Point of Origin" right now.

ER: "
6 O'Clock"

LD:
"Balancing Act"

CS: "Arm's Length"

JB:
"Ghost Writer"or "Breaking Point." I can't choose between the two.

Favorite tour story/moment?

JMR: BR/Laffy weekend - that's when I knew we would be ok. Completely insane but that was the group of guys, ya know?

ER:
Statistical Anomaly - Live from Erin's bedroom.

RD:
I haven't had a ton of experience in that department yet. If we're speaking MyNameIs touring...I think it would simply have to be playing the show in Lafayette.

LD:
When we left Cory at the Karaoke Bar in L.A.

CS: When the airplane flew over our heads in the van in LA

JB:
So far, I think it would have to be Richard's first weekend with us.

What's the best part of playing on stage?

JMR: It's the thing that makes me truly happy. It's hard when it sucks but it's magic when it works. So.. Everything about it

ER:
Comfort. When I get on stage, all worries, cares, problems do not exist. I am in my comfort zone behind the drums and on stage with this band and any band.

RD:
Everything. I have always told people that performing in front of a crowd is better than any drug I've ever taken or sex I've ever had. It's the coolest experience.

LD:
Completely letting loose, if you commit to the moment, you feel like you're capable of anything. This combined with a sharp sense of plan and execution is enough to make me howl to the moon.

CS: It is completely organic. It's not a bunch of notes and chords and memorization anymore. It's a play, and you have a key role in this play. You cannot let someone see through to your natural state, but be completely submerged in the persona that this musician has been assigned. Once you can achieve this setting, then parts and chords and rhythms don't matter anymore. They flow like Rapunzel's hair.

JB:
When I see peoples eyes open real wide whenever we do something crazy like throw the trash can 20 feet in the air or break down the drums for "The One" or chant the opening lines to "Misery Runs" as we walk through the crowd. Anything we do really.

Do you miss the deadline and nearly forced creativity of the 52?


JMR:
In a way I miss the deadline terribly. In another I'm happy it's over. The problem with the deadline was there are songs that have great moments but aren't great songs. I just hope I'm diligent enough to write a bunch of great songs.

ER:
Sometimes I do. I feel like we still work very hard for this band now that we have the blog and shows to book/play and prepare for.

LD:
Somewhat...but other work and deadlines have seemed to take its place

CS:
I miss them. Even though each week was a stressful tiresome one, it brought us close together and helped us to dig into eachother's brains to find the keys to make these songs work. Next mission: a song a day for a month

JB:
I do but it's a welcome change. Don't have worry about cramming things in on the weekend any more. I do miss the cookouts we would have on Sundays though. I'm sure John Michael doesn't mind one bit about not having to worry about the deadline anymore.

Favorite place to play?


JMR:
One Eyed Jacks. Can't wait to play it with the boys

ER:
NOLA - One Eyed Jacks

RD:
I've always really enjoyed playing Tipitina's. Even more so though, is any tiny bar or house. You can have an audience of thirty and it feels like you're playing in front of thousands. There's always a really good energy at that sort of show.

LD:
Blue Nile

CS:
I love Artmosphere in Baton Rouge. People flock there because they crave good tunes. We get squoonched [sic] together on stage, but we always play tighter.

JB:
So far, it would have to be Artmosphere. Tiny stage big crowd. It's kind of a wet dream.

Who is easiest to share a bed with on the road?


JMR:
Eric is the only one I've shared a bed with, I think.

ER:
So far, I have only shared the bed with JM and Leo. Neither of them bothered me.

RD:
Sharing a floor with John Michael was pretty easy. He apparently kicked me in the face while he was walking in and I was sleeping, and I didn't even notice.

LD:
Me, who wants some?

CS: Teddy Lamson... Sorry boys

JB:
Thankfully I haven't had to share a be with anyone yet.

Boxers or briefs?


JMR:
Briefs. You know that.

ER:
Both. depends on the pants or shorts.

RD:
Boxer Briefs.

LD:
Briefs

CS:
Neither. Commando fa sho..

JB:
Briefs totally.

Favorite strings/sticks/picks?


JMR:
DR strings, Purple Dunlop picks, stick of butter

ER:
Promark oak 5A wood tip.

RD:
Dunlop .88 picks. No real preference on strings, though I don't really understand the appeal of Elixirs. They feel slimy to me.

LD:
Other people's

CS:
DR 11's, Jim Dunlop Grey .73's

JB:
Strings: GHS Bass Boomers 45-100 Kent Smith 45-100. Picks: the yellow ones [Dunlop Tortex .77 mm]

What's your musical weakness? What is your guilty pleasure song/artist?


JMR:
Beyonce. She's amazing.

ER:
My musical weakness is that I cannot write. I smoke so I am not as fast as I once was.
Guilty Pleasure = Hall & Oates or Michael MacDonald.

RD:
Bands that I love that the MNIJM crew will probably ridicule me for: Kiss, Blink-182, New Found Glory...and a slew of other pop-punk bands.

LD:
weakness: badass female drummers, guilty pleasure: Garth Brooks' "The Thunder Rolls"

CS:
I pretty much taught myself how to play music, so even though I can play a lot of instruments, I am proficient at none. Guilty pleasure: Seal's Kiss From a Rose. Anyone who's owned the Batman Forever soundtrack knows why.

JB:
I will probably catch a bunch of shit for this, but at the moment it's still that animals song by Nickleback. Now shut up.

Who would you most like to sit in with?


JMR:
Grizzly Bear. Don't know what I'd do. I just love them

ER:
Caddywhompus

RD:
Mike Kinsella of Owen/American Football. He has influenced me like no other.

LD:
Antenna Inn

CS:
J. Robbins

JB:
Bouncing Souls or Tortoise

Favorite chord?


JMR:
The chord at the end of A Day in the Life [E Major played on 2 octaves of 4 pianos]

ER:
Am. It is the first chord of Angie by the Rolling Stones

RD:
Leo would have to translate this, but from high to low it goes D, A, C#, F#, A [Leo says it's a D major 7th chord with an open spelling]

LD:
Fully diminished 7th chord built on the first scale degree (I went to college)

CS: I have no clue what this is considered, but here is the guitar tab:
2
2
2
4
5
3


JB:
Monster cable. Oh, you meant musical chord. Um... E flat

Favorite tour food?


JMR:
Anything that isn't fast food

ER:
In and Out burger or good home cooking.

RD:
I have always loved when kind folks on the road BBQ for us. Home made road BBQ.

LD:
Taco Bell

CS:
Avocados, especially free ones.

JB:
That's easy, the free kind. If not, Subway.

Describe the musical tastes and occupation of your bizarro self.


ER:
My bizarro self dresses like me... first base coach shorts and all, but is a vegan, listens to
pop country, and works hard everyday. He would work with his father building/remodeling houses and get up at 6 everyday and go to bed at 9 every night. He would be boring.

RD:
The bizarro Richard Dubourg would probably be a huge fan of modern country music. He would work construction, drive a large shiny truck, and have a deep passion for Bud Light

LD:
My bizarro self would love "dude rock." Ya know, rock for dudes. First and foremost, I'm a lady.

CS:
My bizarro self has a buzz-cut with a rat-tail. He has an uptight girlfriend that pisses him off because she is allergic to everything, so he can't take her anywhere. He rides a trike with a mercedes hood ornament and loves Mike's hard lemonade. Don't be suprised if you see him at a dirty strip joint with a stack of ones.

JB:
My bizarro self would work in a grocery store while listening to a New Found Glory and My Chemical Romance. Also shops at the Gap and Hot Topic

Beatles or Elvis?
Tupac or Biggie? Michael Jackson or Prince? Honky Chateau or Tumbleweed Connection? [my favorite two Elton John records, this has become a point of contention among a few of the members] Lil' Wayne or Jay-Z? Marvin Gaye or Al Green? Coldplay or U2?

JMR:
Beatles, Biggie, Prince, Tumbleweed, Lil' Wayne, Marvin, U2

ER:
Beatles, Biggie, Michael Jackson, Honky Chateau, Jay-Z, Al Green, U2

RD:
Beatles, Pac, Michael Jackson, No opinion, Lil Wayne, Al Green, loathe U2, so Coldplay

LD:
Elvis, Tupac, MJ, who or what?, Jay-Z, Marvin Gaye, U2

CS:
Beatles, Tupac, MJ, tumbleweed, Jay-Z, Al Green, Coldplay

JB:
Elvis, Tupac, Michael Jackson, who the hell is tumbleweed connection?, Jay-Z, Al Green, Coldplay

Finally, what venue would you most like to play?


JMR:
Beacon Theatre

ER:
Anywhere that is not home. The Filmore in San Francisco would be nice. Festivals in Europe, Japan, and Australia would be nice.

RD:
Though I know nothing about the venue, one of my favorite bands (The Impossibles) final show was at Emo's in Austin, TX. I always thought it would be cool to play where they finished up.

LD:
I recently discovered that I would love to play Ballet Austin's Butler Dance Education Studio in Austin, TX

CS:
40 Watt in Athens

JB:
CBGB's but since they are closed, the Roxy will have to do.

1 comment:

Cyranix said...

Heh, awesome stuff. Nothing to say in particular other than "I approve."