Friday, February 20, 2009

Jackson, George Street, and the Brothers

So it's Mardi Gras and I find myself 200 miles north of ground zero in my hometown of Jackson, MS. Today marks my father's 60th birthday and I just had to come up to help celebrate. After a nice lunch and a great dinner complete with stories from his childhood I had not up until this point been privy to, I adjourned to the somewhat famous George Street Grocery.

If you know Jackson nightlife, you know George Street. It is known for it's great music, good crowds, hard-working bartenders, and it's utter inability to stay in business. This place changes owners honest to God every 18 months (after the requisite 3 month boarding up and grand reopening period). Either way, it's nice to be home while I have a chance to actually go.

The band playing tonight is a group of local 30 somethings with a mixed set of classic rock covers (though tasteful) and southern rock originals. They were playing an Allman Brothers song when I walked in and while I'm not much on cosmic signs, this may be a sign. To what, I'm not sure, but I suppose it's the world's way of telling me that I should hop back on the road for ABB's 40th anniversary later this year. It's as much of an opportunity as it is an excuse not to find another job due to the fact that I'll have to leave said employment to go on the road. We'll see where this year takes me.

No comments: