Thursday, October 18, 2007

Gregg Allman and Friends

So last night Gregg Allman played in New Orleans. Figuring I may have a way in, I gave my friends from the Allman Brothers crew a call inquiring about tickets. Sure enough, these guys pulled some strings and got two backstage passes for me and my lady. There are a lot of tough road crews out there and while the Allman Bros. put on a great show every night with a tight road crew, they are still the nicest guys I've run across.

The show was really good. It's interesting to see Allman to take the lead since Warren Haynes is definitely the band leader for the Bros. He was up playing guitar, talking to the crowd, calling out different songs to play, etc. And, as a special treat for me, they even played "Dreams."

I felt a little bad before the show when some tapers were ejected from the venue even after pleading their case ("hey man, the Allman Brothers allow tapers, go ask Gregg") which fell short of the official House of Blues policy and the wishes of tour manager Vid Sutherland in small venues like that.

All in all, good experience. I must say I was happy to see a few familiar faces last night and can only hope I'll have the opportunity to go out on the road with them again.

No comments: