Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Finding Forever today.

Once again, Common has released a great album. Finding Forever came out in July under my radar and I have only now come to really dig into it. It's a great album full of intelligent lyrics, thoughtful samples, and catchy hooks. Also, he finally got the credit he deserved by debuting at number one on the Billboard 200.

I first came under Common's spell on the De La Soul record Stakes is High and have tried to keep up as best I could. His 2005 record Be was the pinnacle of his career. It was a soul/R&B record that deserved record of the year for its socially conscious lyrics, its fantastic hooks, and its surprisingly widespread appeal. His new record is more in the hip-hop vein, which is fine, but I was really hoping for a Be sequel to be honest. This one is more like his previous records (Electric Circus, Like Water for Chocolate but without a pop masterpiece like "Come Close" from EC). The lyrics are less socially conscious and more appealing to a larger crowd. What I mean by a more widespread appeal is the references buried in them.

For example, he makes reference to, among others: Jennifer Aniston and Vince Vaughn's relationship, astronaut Lisa Marie Nowak's very publicized breakdown, and Dreamworks Pictures near-masterpiece Finding Nemo. While my generation may now get a kick out of reminiscing about these events today, where does that put these lyrics in 10 years? Will those in kindergarten today know who Nowak is or remember that Aniston and Vaughn had a short-lived relationship following their $100+ million film The Break Up? I hope not.

His music is always catchy and very well constructed. His tracks could easily stand alone, thanks again to Kanye West (producer of Be as well), which reminds me of some of my favorite other hip-hop groups. His lyrics are memorable enough to sing along (for the most part) but I can't get over the fleeting nature of his pop references. Tracks to check out: "The People," "Forever Begins (featuring the easily recognizable drum track from Paul Simon's "50 Ways to Leave Your Lover")," "Break My Heart." Either way, I'll still give it...

Rating: Buy it.

No comments: