Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Weekend Tour

This past weekend, I traveled to Baton Rouge and Lafayette with MNIJM for a mini tour. As the seven of us loaded out the space and crammed into the Tahoe I knew it was going to be a trip to remember and surely it was. The drive to Baton Rouge was spent just talking, as usual. For me, it was a good chance to get to know the newest member of MNIJM, Richard Dubourg and I guess this is a good enough forum as any to officially welcome him to the group. So welcome, Richard.

Our first mission in Baton Rouge was to play the vintage clothing store Time Warp. Our first in store went very well. The band played the songs slower and softer than I've ever heard and it sounded great on two acoustics, a muted trumpet, and various percussion. The store itself was pretty cool so I suggest stopping in when you are in Baton Rouge. There's plenty of video of the in-store, so keep an eye out for it on the MNIJM blog (mnijm.wordpress.com). Why a vintage clothing store? Because apparently there are absolutely zero good record stores in Baton Rouge. Not my words, don't take it out on me if you own one.

Next on the agenda was heading over to KLSU to go a radio interview with one of their DJs. Fifteen semi-awkward minutes and two songs later, we were heading to the venue. The only time I had been in Spanish Moon before this was to see one of my favorite bands, Band Of Horses, and it was great. The boys put on a hell of a show and things are definitely looking up. Their shows are only getting better so make sure to catch them when they hit your town.

Day two was much of a repeat of day one with a few exceptions: it was in Lafayette instead and we had a sweet dance party DJed by John Michael himself until the wee wee wee hours of the morning afterwards. We got to really know Richard's personality that night and I think he'll fit in just fine. As long as we keep him away from high school girls thus keeping him out of jail, he'll be around for a while.

Our next outing will be SXSW in Austin which I am very much looking forward to and hoping to see some old friends along the way. If you live in Austin, come see us at the Historic Victory Grill on March 19th (not sure about the time but I'll definitely have more info on this later).

No comments: